As the lethal quicksand has almost claimed our heroes, Batman and Robin escape by reaching down ever so slowly, activate their experimental Heel-and-Toe Batrockets, and rocket themselves to safety. They investigate another cunning clue left by Riddler after his latest crime, and encounter Riddler, Across and Down at the penthouse of Anthony Aquila, an exiled South American dictator. They are unable to stop the thieving trio from cracking the dictator's safe because they must first rescue dictator himself from one of Riddler's fiendish puzzle-traps. Fearing for the man's life, The Duo allow the villains to escape with their ill-gotten gains. The Boy Wonder succeeds in solving the puzzle of the cage and releasing Aquila, only to find that the box supposedly containing the explosives was a fake. The Riddler finally amasses enough capital to purchase Professor Charm's invention, which he plans to demonstrate on a park statue. Disguised as a street cleaner, Riddler aims the Demolecularizer at the statue and makes it vanish right before the very eyes of The Dynamic Duo and the police! The Conundrum King then promises to Demolecularize Police HQ unless Gotham's criminal codes are rescinded. The Caped Crusader and The Boy Wonder fly The Batcopter over Gotham and seed the clouds above with di-chloride, thus neutralizing Riddler's device with a well-timed lightning bolt from a passing storm cloud. The Dynamic Duo then trace Riddler to his hideout by Batcycle at The Norman Jigsaw Puzzle Factory, where they round him and his cronies Anna Gram, Across and Down up and send them on another long trek back to the pokey. Later, in Gordon's office @ Police HQ, a guilt-wracked Professor Charm returns the stolen cash. Batman remarks that after Charms pays his debt to society, the Professor will become a member of the Gotham Scientific Institute.
NEXT WEEK Edit
Cesar Romero returns as The Joker!
- Commissioner Gordon
- Chief O'Hara
- The Riddler
- Across and Down
- Anna Gram
- Professor Avery Evans Charm
- The Puzzler (Mentioned Only)
Behind the scenesEdit
- This, and Batman's Anniversary, marked John Astin's only appearances as The Riddler. Ironically although the Riddlers trademark tool of crime is a Question mark staff it was John Astin -not Frank Gorshin-version of Riddler-who appeared with this symbol of crime in the 1960's series! Likewise Astin appears with two of Gorshin separate wardrobe for Riddler-his green leotard Jump suit and his Riddler Bowler [Gorshin Riddler usually wore his Bowler with his Riddler suit!]
- Riddler's puzzle trap for Aquilla appeared on the cover of Riddler first comic Detective Comic # 140 with the dynamic duo trapped inside!
- A third unnamed Riddler henchman appears in the final fight scene
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Batman's Anniversary||The Joker's Last Laugh|