|Real name:||Barbara Wilson|
|Affiliation:|| Alfred Pennyworth (Uncle)|
Bruce Wayne/Batman (Partner)
Dick Grayson/Robin (Partner and love interest)
Margaret Wilson (Mother)
Barbara Wilson's Father (Father)
Wilfred Pennyworth (Uncle)
|Characteristics:|| Gender - Female|
Hair - Blonde
Eyes - Hazel
|Portrayed by:||Alicia Silverstone|
|Appearances:||Batman & Robin|
- "Men, always doing things the hard way."
Barbara Wilson is the daughter of Margaret Wilson, who is sister to Alfred Pennyworth. Barbara and Alfred have apparently been close throughout Barbara's entire life, particularly when Barbara's mother and father died in a car accident. While Alfred lived in the United States working as the Wayne Family butler, Barbara remained in England attending boarding school. However, she felt particularly disgusted at the idea of her uncle working as a servant, and upon discovering that Alfred was ill with a rare disease, flies to America in order to 'free' him.
Upon arriving in the states, she meets Alfred's 'other family', Dick Grayson (who is immediately attracted to her, and vice-versa) and Bruce Wayne. Bruce invites Barbara to stay, during which Alfred's disease grows steadily worse. While Alfred grows closer to death, he shares with Barbara an encrypted disk, which contains all of Batman's secrets. Barbara immediately hacks the discs, and discovers that Bruce and Dick are Batman and Robin, and that Alfred planned for her future involvement.
Donning a suit designed for her by Alfred, Barbara, now under the guise of Batgirl, defeats Poison Ivy and saves Batman and Robin. Together the three of them defeat Mr. Freeze, who was attempting to create a new ice-age, and retrieve the cure for Alfred's disease. Barbara then officially joins the family.
Behind the scenesEdit
- This incarnation of Barbara was Alfred Pennyworth's niece and named Barbara Wilson, rather than being James Gordon's daughter, Barbara Gordon, like in the comics. This is due to alterations in Gordon's character where his relationship with Batman is severly downplayed and purely professional.
- Rather than be a red-head like in the comics, Barbara is blonde. She is the second blonde-haired Batgirl. The first was Betty Kane, the first Batgirl (though called "Bat-Girl") and eventually became Flamebird.
- The Batgirl costume used in this film is later repainted and used by Diana Myers who plays Barbara Gordon/Batgirl/Oracle for the short-lived Birds of Prey TV show.
- Although Batgirl normally wears a cowl like Batman, in this film, she only wears the cowl while riding a motor-cycle. Otherwise she uses a mask similar to Robin's.
- Barbara and Dick Grayson retain their romantic banter much like in the comics.
- This is the only Batgirl wearing tight-high boots, as seen in the suiting up scene.
- Alfred has two nieces who appeared in comics. The first is Valerie in Batman Sunday comics (Feb-March 1945). The second is Daphne Pennyworth, daughter of Alfred's older brother Wilfred, who first appeared in Batman #216 (Nov. 1969). Though Valerie's parents were never revealed.