|Real name:||Unidentified (Gambol likely last name)|
|Portrayed by:||Michael Jai White|
|Appearances:||The Dark Knight|
- "I'm putting the word out. Five hundred grand for this clown dead; a million alive, so I can teach him some manners first."
Gambol was one of Gotham City's crime lords. He was the head of an African American mob in Gotham City.
Gambol's gang was at a turf-war with the Italian mob, led by Sal Maroni, and the Chechen Mafia, led by The Chechen. Since the arrival of Batman, Gambol had made a truce with Maroni and the Chechen and formed an Alliance with the other crime organizations as Batman had become a threat.
He acquired an immediate hatred of the Joker, who arrived unannounced to a business meeting between the mob and repeatedly insulted him. Gambol was also displeased with the fact that the Joker stole money from the mob's bank, with his anger rising when the latter implied that he used the stolen money to create his "cheap" suit. The Joker also managed to kill one of Gambol's guards by slamming his head into a pencil, calling it a "magic trick".
Gambol's empire toppledEdit
After placing a bounty on him, Gambol was tricked by a trio of bounty hunters who made it seem like they brought him the Joker dead. The Joker revealed himself alive after stabbing two of Gambol's men with knives, pressed a knife in Gambol's mouth, and told him an ambiguous story of how he got his scars, before killing him with the knife.
Gambol's empire was destroyed for good after the Joker made his last surviving men fight to the death with half of a broken pool stick.
Behind the scenes Edit
- "Gambol" means "To frolic or dance about". As Gambol would likely never accept this as a nickname or alias, Gambol was likely his last name. It also could have been derived from the word "gamble".
- Gambol is played by Michael Jai White, who was best known for playing superhero Spawn. Both Spawn and Gambol share a mutual hatred for clowns (Joker, Clown/Violator). White also played another DC Comics villain in the television series Arrow, where he portrayed Bronze Tiger.
- Some claim that Gambol survived his attack by the Joker and can be briefly seen later in the film being arrested during a GCPD on his neighbourhood. This claim is disputed by many though as it would render the narrative purpose of the Joker's visit to Gambol's headquarters useless (if Gambol had lived it would be unlikely that the other mob bosses would have hired the Joker). The recently released behind-the-scenes book of the trilogy confirms that Gambol was indeed murdered by The Joker.
- Gambol shared a similar role to the character Jefferson Skeevers from Batman: Year One, namely being an African-American criminal kingpin.