Hi Diddle Riddle was the first episode of Season 1 of the television series and the first ever episode of the series itself.
It aired on the ABC Television Network on January 12, 1966.
It marked the debut of the original cast and special guest villain: The Riddler.
The series opens at the Republic of Moldavia exhibit, located at the Gotham City World's Fair, the Moldavian prime minister slices into the Moldavian friendship cake and unknowingly causes it to explode, releasing a concealed riddle. At the Gotham City Police Department, Police Commissioner James Gordon (Neil Hamilton) and Chief Miles O'Hara(Stafford Repp) suspect it to the Riddler (Gorshin). They turn to Inspector Bash and all the other senior policemen, but all bow their heads for a moment of silence, they turn to a red phone ("I don't know who he is behind that mask of his, but I do know when we need him and we need him now!"). After a glimpse into the lives of Bruce Wayne (Adam West) and Dick Grayson (Burt Ward) as well as the opening credits, the riddle leads them as Batman and Robin to the Pealeart gallery where they catch the Riddler in the act of taking a cross from its proprietor, Gideon Peale, at gunpoint. They stop him with an explosive but learn to their horror that Riddler's gun was actually a lighter and the cross was his to begin with. Riddler whistles and some lawyers arrive bearing subpoenas in which the Riddler hands to Batman, who is slated to be sued for false arrest.
Batman and Robin must uncover the Riddler's plot before the case comes to trial or Batman will be forced to reveal his true identity in court, completely destroying his value as a crimefighter and stunting his career forever. Batman reveals that he knew the gun Riddler had was a fake, yet pretended to arrest Riddler so as to uncover Riddler's scheme.
Two hidden riddles in the legal documents lead Batman and Robin to the new "What A Way To Go-Go" discothèque. the Riddler informs his henchmen, the Mole Hill Mob, that Batman has had time to solve his clue. As the Riddler and the Mole Hill Mob make their way through an underground corridor to the discothèque, his plan is again put into action. Being a minor, Robin is too young to enter the disco (Burt Ward was 19 at the time of filming so it is implied that only 21-year-olds are allowed), so he waits outside in the Batmobile and monitors Batman on the Batscope while Batman dances the Batusi with the Riddler's assistant, Molly, Unfortunately, his orange juice had been spiked with a sleeping pill. Watching from outside, Robin attempts to help Batman, but falls victim to the Riddler's tranquilizer dart gun. Riddler tries to steal the Batmobile but accidentally triggers its antitheft rockets. He then tries to destroy the car but the flames are extinguished by its "Bat-o-stat Antifire Activator". Robin is carried away down a manhole by the Riddler and the Mole Hill Mob. Batman finds himself in no condition to pursue them and is forced to surrender his keys to the police at the most inopportune time.
Meanwhile, at the Riddler's hideout, Robin is strapped to a table as the Riddler, who is surrounded by Molly and the Mole Hill Mob, attempts to operate on the unconscious boy.
Cliffhanger Text Edit
- WILL ROBIN ESCAPE?
- CAN BATMAN FIND HIM IN TIME?
- IS THIS THE GHASTLY END OF OUR DYNAMIC DUO?
- ANSWERS...TOMORROW NIGHT! SAME TIME, SAME CHANNEL!
- ONE HINT--THE WORST IS YET TO COME!
- This is the first time, the famous dance called The Batusi was shown.
- This the first time another guest villain apart from the main one is credited.
- Riddler's real name Edward Nigma is never given in the series. In the second part of The Bookworm episode when Batman and Robin are trapped inside the giant cook book, Commissoner Gordon remarks that Riddler is the best safecracker there ever was,this is the only clue on how the Riddler start into crime which is a reference to the original character's comic debut in Detective Comics 140#
- Despite being one of the main four supercriminals besides Joker, Penguin and Catwoman. Riddler never appears in the intro as the others do. Likewise he never appears in the Batcave although in the movie "The Adventures of Adam and Burt" he does try with Catwoman to blow up the Dynamic Duo in the Batcave.
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|(none)||Smack In The Middle|