Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|Real name:||Thomas Elliot|
|First Appearance:||Batman: Arkham City (Batman #609)|
|Created by:|| Jeph Loeb|
|Affiliations:||The Arkham Knight|
Genius level intellect
|Portrayed by:||Kevin Conroy (Voice)|
- "It took time, of course, to find the perfect donors. To graft on the flesh and, finally, to lose myself in order to create...this."
- ―Hush to Batman when he reveals his pieced-together face which looks exactly like Bruce Wayne.[src]
Hush, formally known as Doctor Thomas Elliot, was born into a wealthy family and was a childhood friend of Bruce Wayne, but, unlike Bruce, despised his parents due to his father's abusive nature and his mother's inability to control his father's temper towards him. Driven by independence and wealth, he cut the brakes of his parents' car, which killed his father and severely injured his mother, who only survived due to the surgical skills of Thomas Wayne, Bruce's father.
Elliot was then forced to wait for his mother to die many years later to obtain the fortune, only for it to be used entirely by his mother to refurbish Gotham's hospitals prior to her death. As a result, Elliot developed a violent and maddened rage towards the Wayne family for denying him what he viewed was rightfully his; a rage that would eventually centralize on only Bruce after the death of his parents. Driven by a desire for revenge against Bruce and his inheritance, Elliot has spent decades developing an elaborate scheme to ruin his former friend's life and satisfy his lust for vengeance.
Although he does not appear, Thomas Elliot is mentioned by Alfred; he tells Bruce that Thomas called to celebrate a surgery he just completed. Also, in Bane's lair, there is a newspaper on the floor with the topic "The Identity Thief Strikes Again". This means Elliot has already started constructing the mask of Bruce Wayne's face and finally finished it in Arkham City.
After Arkham Origins
When the Asylum was opened again Thomas Elliot started working there as a doctor.
At some point, he was the one responsible for the surgery that separated Hammer and Sickle, having been hired by the Joker to perform the surgery in exchange for the finances that would fund his later surgeries.
Although Hush doesn't appear, Doctor Thomas Elliot's night shifts appear on a duty roster hanging on the wall of the Surgery Room. Scanning his shift on the roster unlocks his bio. The duty roster confirms that he was recently treating The Mad Hatter and Firefly.
After Arkham Asylum
Thomas Elliot likely continued to work as a doctor at Arkham until his appearance in Arkham City.
Hush appears early during the events of Arkham City in the Gotham Cathedral, which has been made into the new medical facility for the prison. After Batman rescues all the doctors and nurses from Joker's crew, Batman finds Thomas Elliot (although his name is not known at this point) on a gurney with his face covered in bandages and holding onto a crate. Another doctor, Adam Hamasaki, informs Batman that the patient was a doctor and amazing surgeon who transferred to Arkham City from Arkham Asylum. Over the course of several weeks though, Elliot stole various drugs and then cut his own face off. He was found by Adam while laughing in a corner and holding onto a crate, leading Adam to believe that the gifted surgeon had lost his grip on sanity due to the hellish nature of Arkham City. He wrapped Elliot's face in bandages, but was unable to pry the crate from the man's hands.
While Adam believed Elliot simply lost his sanity, the truth was far more insidious. In reality, Thomas Elliot led another life as a serial killer known as "The Identity Thief", who had been murdering people in Gotham City, surgically removing their faces, and storing them in a crate for his own purposes. Elliot's goal was to take the faces of individuals with similar facial features as Bruce Wayne, with whom he held a personal vendetta against, and surgically graft them onto his own face so that he could assume the identity of Bruce Wayne.
After learning that several of his targets have been incarcerated in Arkham City, Elliot transferred to the super prison to complete his plans, starting with removing his own face and grafting the skin of his victims on his own. Now known as Hush, Elliot escaped the Cathedral while Riddler was abducting the rest of the medical staff and made his way to an old brownstone behind the Solomon Wayne Courthouse and converts it into his base of operations within the prison.
While on his mission to discover the truth behind Protocol 10, Batman eventually pursues Hush while the killer murders several more victims to remove their faces, using several complex forensic methods to cover his tracks. Batman surmises that the murders are so well executed that the killer had to have been planning them over an extremely long period of time and is amazed when he learns that the finger prints left at one crime scene is a match to his own. This leads Oracle to speculate that Batman himself may be behind the crimes, proposing that he may have been drugged by Hugo Strange or Scarecrow. Rejecting her idea, albeit with some reluctance, Batman continues his search.
In time, Batman uncovers a third victim matching the same characteristics as the previous victims. While studying the crime scene, he realizes that there are traces of bleach nearby. Following the trail, Batman eventually locates an Arkham inmate that said he'd been paid off by Bruce Wayne to dump the body and clean up the area. He reveals the location and Batman heads out to investigate.
When Batman finally tracks Hush to his hideout, he finds a disturbing and heinous makeshift operating chamber where Hush performed his inhuman experiments. It is revealed that Hush surgically altered his face and prints to look like Bruce Wayne by using his victim's faces and prints in his quest for vengeance. He ends up escaping, with Batman commenting he will track Hush down the next night. Contacting Oracle, Batman closed his active case in Arkham City, and opens up a new one for Thomas Elliot, planning on investigating everything related to this former friend of Bruce Wayne and new enemy of Batman once the Arkham City crisis was over.
Batman: Arkham Knight Genesis
It is established within the Arkham Knight Genesis comics that Elliot has in fact been working with Jason Todd, now under the guise of the Arkham Knight, for years in order to perfect his new face. While it is unknown if Hush is also working with Scarecrow as a result of this partnership, the villain is nonetheless made fully aware of the attack on Gotham that will commence on Halloween.
Within the comic, Arkham Knight rescues Hush from Ratcatcher, having been revealed to have survived Penguin's vicious attack on him within Arkham City, albeit barely, believing that Hush truly is Bruce Wayne. Arkham Knight brutally murders Ratcatcher and his army of rats by burning them all to a literal crisp with a military-grade taser. Escorting his associate to his makeshift hideout, Todd begrudges Elliot for revealing his new face too soon and stresses that he must be patient until all the pieces are in place for their plans.
Giving Elliot a medical cream that was made from the remnants of Clayface from underneath Arkham City, Todd reveals that this will heal Hush's scars completely by the time their plans are put into effect. While Elliot is unaware that Batman and Bruce Wayne are one and the same, he realizes that taking down the playboy's business empire will aid the Arkham Knight in his schemes and operations targeting Gotham City, while Hush will get everything he's ever wanted in his own plans and lust for vengeance; Bruce's entire fortune, his place as Gotham's most powerful and wealthiest individual, and his former childhood friend dead.
This reveals that the attack on Wayne Tower by Hush's hands was not merely a coincidence that coincided with Scarecrow's plans, but actually part of the coordinated attack on Batman's life and allies, with Elliot's role meant to specifically attack Lucious Fox and the heart of where the hero receives his immense funding and equipment.
Thomas returned during the events that unfolded in Gotham as Batman was fighting Scarecrow and the Arkham Knight. Enacting the plan that he formed with the Arkham Knight and using the mask that made him look identical to Bruce Wayne, Elliot infiltrated Wayne Tower undetected.
Elliot entered his former friend's office in an attempt to steal Wayne's funding, but couldn't due to the retinal scanner denying him access. Lucius Fox entered the office, concerned for the well being of his boss, at which point Elliot attacked him and used his retina to access the computer. Succeeding in stealing Wayne's funds, Hush waited for Batman while holding Lucius at gunpoint.
When Batman arrived, he transmitted a message requesting that Batman "join the party", as well as casually threatening that if Batman were to do anything stupid, "Wayne Enterprises will be in need of a new CEO." Thomas demanded him to get Bruce in hopes of killing him and taking his place as Gotham's most powerful citizen, even revealing to Batman that he was responsible for the death of his father. Batman took off his cowl in front of his childhood friend telling him "Take your best shot Tommy".
Shocked at realizing Bruce was Batman, Elliot became very unstable and in a split second, attempted to kill Bruce, only to be countered and smashed through Wayne's desk by Batman after Lucius scars Elliot's new face with a glass container, serving as poetic justice for the killer. Bruce ordered that Thomas be locked in the vault at the tower until he could face a judge, being unable to take him to the GCPD directly without risking his secret identity undergoing an investigation.
With Batman's true identity revealed as Bruce Wayne to the entire world by the end of the night, Elliot's plans were completely destroyed as the villain would be sent to jail regardless of which identity he went under, with evidence of all his crimes coming to light. With nothing more than a scarred face to showcase the results of his plans, Elliot's agenda for vengeance years in the making were all in vain, destroyed within a split second, along with the remainder of his life, now to be spent behind bars.
- "This is the journal of Doctor Thomas Elliot. My work is complete. The pain, though still present, has been worth it. He will suffer for what he did to me. He will suffer the way I have suffered. As I look in the mirror, I understand how Leonardo felt when he finished the Mona Lisa, how Michelangelo felt when David was complete. My work has taken too long, but now it's time for my masterpiece to be unveiled. My new face is ready."
- "I couldn't have put it better myself. I take it you're here to stop me?"
- "I think you're too late."
- "Bruce Wayne? It took time, of course. To find the perfect donors. To graft on the flesh and, finally, to lose myself in order to create this."
- "Unfortunate but necessary to complete my plan."
- "Would you believe good, old-fashioned revenge? To be honest, I don't care if you do. Wayne will suffer and you will not stop me."
- "I can see you have your hands full with Arkham City, but it's time for me to leave. Pray we do not meet again. Next time I will not be in such a generous mood."
- So, I finally got your attention. Come and join the party. If you try anything stupid, Wayne Enterprises will be looking for a new CEO.
- That brat's family destroyed me, and now I will destroy him.
- Ah yes. The great surgeon Thomas Wayne. To think he was once my idol. Until he ruined everything.
- He denied me what was rightfully mine!
- I only want what I deserve! Bruce Wayne had his riches handed to him on a plate. He never had to fight for anything in is life! Now bring me Wayne, or I'll destroy this tower and everything he stands for!
- Bruce...that's impossible.
- My face...
- This incarnation of Hush removes his victim's faces to graft a new one of his own, rather than using plastic surgery. This is similar to the character Jane Doe from the comics (rather ironically, Jane Doe removed Hush's Bruce Wayne face to wear as her own at one point).
- It would appear his surgical disguise isn't 100% perfect, as his "Bruce Wayne face" is covered in very noticeable scars from the grafting procedure and he will noticeably press down and pull on his neck and throat and breathe deeply as if trying to readjust the face and his vocal cords from time to time. The scars and stitching are nearly healed fully by the events of Batman: Arkham Knight, as he previously used a medical solution derived from Clayface's remnants, given to him by the Arkham Knight, to heal his face.
- After hearing Adam's account of what happened to Elliot, the radio next to him will broadcast a story concerning Bruce Wayne's arrest and incarceration in Arkham City. Elliot will move his head suddenly and utter "Wayne" in anger after hearing his name, showing just how obsessed and vengeful Elliot is towards Bruce Wayne.
- Unlike in the comics, where Hush debuted with a full knowledge of Batman's secret identity (thanks to the Riddler), he is unaware that Bruce Wayne and Batman are one and the same.
- Elliot is only addressed as either Bruce Wayne, Dr. Thomas Elliot, and the "Identity Thief", never as Hush.
- Despite the clearly visible surgical stitches on his face, Elliot is still mistaken by a large number of inmates to be Bruce Wayne. Although they did notice the stitches, they appeared to dismiss this as the wounds Wayne suffered fighting off his various adversaries.
- In several locations around Arkham City, mostly near Hush's surgical equipment, there can be seen a green necklace. This could be a reference to Elliot's green necklace, which once belonged to his mother.
- The container Elliot was holding in the church, probably had his own face inside. This would explain his protectiveness towards it.
- If the "Friend in Need" Most Wanted Mission was completed after defeating Scarecrow, Wayne and Fox's conversation will be completely different, as Wayne reveals to Fox that he's retiring from Batman as of this night, as his secret identity had been publicly exposed (which Fox had not been aware of due to not catching the news at the time). Despite this, the player still won't take Hush over to the GCPD, despite the risk of being investigated being made irrelevant.