"If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?" is the fortieth episode of Batman: The Animated Series. It first aired on November 18, 1992. This episode features the debut of The Riddler, building to his upcoming role in the 1995 live-action film Batman Forever.
Edward Nygma creates a computer game, "The Riddle of the Minotaur", and makes millions for the company Competitron. He is later fired by his superior, Daniel Mockridge, who wants the profits for himself. Angry, Nygma vows revenge, and two years later, he takes up the mantle of The Riddler and traps Mockridge inside a life-sized version of the Minotaur maze. Batman's sympathy is actually with Nygma, but he and Robin have to stop him before he kills Mockridge, despite the fact that Mockridge cannot legally be brought to justice.
Batman and Robin struggle through the labyrinth, solving its many puzzles, despite having to leave their utility belts outside at Nygma's request. They manage to rescue Mockridge but they then cannot find The Riddler afterwards. He is then shown far away from Gotham City aboard an aeroplane but vows to continue his vendetta against Mockridge, Batman and Robin.
- Kevin Conroy as Batman / Bruce Wayne
- Efrem Zimbalist Jr. as Alfred Pennyworth
- John Glover as Edward Nygma / The Riddler
- Gary Frank as Daniel Mockridge
- Loren Lester as Dick Grayson / Robin
- Brock Peters as Lucius Fox
- Hal Rayle as Henchman
- Written by David Wise
- Directed by Eric Radomski
- Music Composed by Stuart V. Balcomb
- Animation Services by Dong Yang Animation Co., LTD.
- The first half of the 7th level of The Adventures of Batman & Robin: The Video Game for the SNES is strongly based on this episode. Every riddle is taken from this episode, and the title card and music are the same.
- When Robin plays the Riddle of the Minotaur, various sounds from the original Super Mario Bros. can be heard.
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|Heart of Steel Part II||Joker's Wild|