|Real name:||Margaret Pye|
|First Appearance:||The Man of Steel #3|
|Created by:||John Byrne|
|Affiliations:||Black Lantern Corps|
|Portrayed by:||Grey DeLisle|
Magpie was an enemy of Batman with an obsession for shiny objects.
Growing up, Margaret Pye loved shiny things and wanted them all for herself. She was ridiculed for her obsession, and nicknamed Magpie. This obsession just got stronger as she grew up, and she took a job as curator of the Gotham City Museum of Antiquities to be surrounded by the valuables she loved. This love became compulsive jealously when she realized she would never possess the antiques around her. Her mind snapped, and she started a crime-wave as Magpie. She made booby-trapped duplicates of famous museum pieces, and put them in place of the genuine article. She felt she was taking what was rightfully hers, not stealing. She also recruited a small gang of thugs to ensure that she was never caught. She was a harsh employer, killing any goon that failed her expectations. She was unfortunate enough to be the first criminal captured by the team of Batman and Superman working together. She had an emotional breakdown after she realized that they were going to take away her shiny things.
She is seen in the six part series "Arkham Asylum: Living Hell " in a cell with Poison Ivy, trading sex to Doodlebug in exchange for "shiny things". She and Poison Ivy later dig a tunnel beneath Arkham in an attempt to escape.
Although seen working with Intergang in the pages of 52, as of One Year Later she was found dead, murdered by the Tally Man II under the orders of Great White Shark, who was chipping away at the Penguin's empire.
Margaret Pye's body was reanimated along with several other villains during Blackest Night. Along with Abattoir, Deacon Blackfire, Blockbuster, King Snake, KGBeast, The Trigger Twins, and the Ventriloquist, she has received a Black Lantern Ring. She has been seen terrorizing the city, and tearing out the hearts of innocents to feed on their emotions and life force when they're feeling the most fear.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Gadgetry: Capable of creating deadly versions of the artifacts she steals.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Weaponry: Explosives or emitting airborne toxins or firing razor blades.
- Abilities: Invulnerable to pain, skilled gymnast.
- In Post-Crisis continuity, she is the first villain fought by Batman and Superman working as a team.
- Her outrageous hairstyle is actually a wig. She has red hair underneath.
- In the DC Universe animated film Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Superman asks Batman what ever occurred of her, and Batman simply replies that she is deceased. Superman then inquires why the "good" villains never die. Batman retorts with "Clark, what the hell are good villains?"