Science and Technology Advanced Research Laboratories or S.T.A.R. Labs, is a research facility. They first appeared in Superman vol. 1 #246 in December 1971, and was created by Len Wein and Curt Swan.
Science and Technology Advanced Research Laboratories, usually shortened to S.T.A.R. Labs, was a research organization founded by a scientist named Garrison Slate, who wanted a nationwide chain of research laboratories unconnected to the government or any business interests.
He succeeded not only on a national scale, but an international one as well: S.T.A.R. Labs maintained facilities in Canada, Europe, Australia, and Japan as well as in the United States, with the total number of facilities numbering between twenty and thirty at last recorded count.
Lex Luthor has attempted to buy out S.T.A.R. on at least one occasion. The technology used to maintain Cyborg's mechanical parts comes from S.T.A.R. Labs. These parts were also used to create cybernetic enhancements for Ron Evers.
The central branch in Metropolis is most likely one of the more recognizable branches, due to its connection with Superman and the various supervillains they hold. During the Armageddon 2001 event, the Metropolis branch was destroyed in the fight between Captain Atom and Monarch, but as since been rebuilt. As well, S.T.A.R. Labs offered help during the time the Sun-Eater extinguished the sun.
- New York City, New York: specializing in research and technology.
- Gotham City: specializing in weaponry.
- Metropolis [by Metropolis Harbor]: specializing in marine biology.
- Metropolis [centrally located]: catch-all facility.
- Wichita, Kansas: specializing in computer-engineering.
- Chicago, Illinois: specializing in research and technology.
- Phoenix, Arizona: specializing in meteorology and natural disasters.
- San Diego, California: specializing in chemical research.
- Los Angeles, California: specializing in genetics and disease control.
- San Francisco, California: specializing in studying metahumans.
- Seattle, Washington: specializing in studying psychology and psionics.