The Cat and the Claw is the first of a two part episode of Batman: The Animated Series. It marked the show's debut on television, airing on September 5, 1992.
Gotham City encounters a new cat burglar calling herself Catwoman. Around the same time, Bruce Wayne meets a woman named Selina Kyle, whom he is visibly attracted to. When Selina runs into trouble with a terrorist group known as The Red Claw, who want the mountain lion sanctuary she was endeavoring to protect, she decides to take matters into her own hands and investigate. In the midst of Catwoman being attracted to Batman, and Bruce to her alter-ego, Selina Kyle, Catwoman discovers evidence of the military facility inside a mountain on a future resort site. As it turns out, the cartel involved is fronting for an international terrorist group headed by Red Claw, a mysterious female terrorist.
Red Claw is known as the "most ruthless terrorist alive", in Commissioner Gordon's words. Working with the company 'Multigon", Red Claw plans to buy a wildlife resort under the pretense of opening a hotel, to plant a plague virus and use it to blackmail Gotham City unless she is paid $1 billion in gold bullion (although she plans to release the plague even if she receives the money). However, Selina Kyle and Bruce Wayne are also trying to buy the land as a mountain lion resort, prompting Red Claw to order Kyle stalked until the right moment to assassinate her. Later on, during a meeting, Red Claw and her minions discover Kyle, as Catwoman, looking through secret files regarding their plans, and they open fire, although Catwoman escapes with her life thanks to Batman's timely intervention. The same night, one of Red Claw's men stalks Kyle home, and discovers that Catwoman and Selina Kyle are one and the same.
- Kevin Conroy as Batman / Bruce Wayne
- Bob Hastings as Commissioner James Gordon
- Adrienne Barbeau as Catwoman / Selina Kyle
- Herb Edelman as Stern
- Kate Mulgrew as Red Claw
- Mary McDonald Lewis as Maven
- Neil Ross as Additional Voice
- Frank Welker as Additional Voice
- Story by S.C. Derek & L. Bright
- Written by J. Dennis & R. Mueller
- Directed by K. Altieri
- Supervising Composer Shirley Walker
- Music Composed by Shirley Walker, Harvey Cohen, Wayne Coster
- Animation Services by Sunrise
- The fourth level of The Adventures of Batman & Robin: The Video Game is based directly on the first few minutes of this episode, with Batman chasing Catwoman and Isis across rooftops and alleys. The music is also the same.
|Previous episode:||Next episode:|
|(none)||The Cat and the Claw Part II|