|Real name:||Tucker Cobblepot|
|Affiliation:|| Esther Cobblepot (wife)|
Oswald Cobblepot (son)
|Characteristics:|| Gender - Male|
Hair – Brown (but graying)
Eyes - Brown
|Portrayed by:||Paul Reubens|
Little was known of Tucker Cobblepot, although it was assumed that the Cobblepot Family was very wealthy, either as wealthy or having almost as much money as the Wayne Family. His first son was Oswald, who was treated poorly on account of his deformity. Tucker and his wife, Esther, had trouble accepting him, and they did not believe that Gotham's high society would be welcoming of Oswald. Oswald's abuse of the family cat confirmed Tucker's belief that Oswald had the mannerisms of an untrained animal, and got rid of him by pushing his baby carriage into the river. The carriage proceeded to float into the Arctic World exhibit of the Old Zoo, where Oswald was carried off by huge Emperor Penguins. Tucker, along with Esther, had died by the time that Oswald began his assault on Gotham, presumably of old age or natural causes. Oswald made a public show of placing roses on Tucker and Esther's Graves in order to show that he had forgiven his parents. Whether his forgiveness was sincere was never revealed, but it was clear that Oswald had no such forgiveness in his heart for Batman.
Behind the Scenes
- Tucker Cobblepot was played by Paul Reubens of Pee-Wee Herman fame.
- Tucker's name could be seen on his headstone.
- In an early draft of the script, Tucker was supposed to have been a District Attorney.
- The Penguin's father was not identified in most comic continuities, and Tucker was an original character for Batman Returns.
- Burgess Meredith, who played Penguin in the 1960s Batman series, was considered to play Penguin's father. But his illness prevented him from it.
- Diane Salinger played Esther Cobblepot. That marked the second time in a Tim Burton production that Diane Salinger and Paul Reubens played a couple, the first time was Pee Wee's Big Adventure, when Reubens played Pee-Wee Herman and Salinger played Simone, the truck stop waitress.
- Paul Reubens replayed the role as Penguin's Father in the television series, Gotham, for two episodes in the second season. That version was called Elijah Van Dahl.